Audience: ClassLink Administrator
The Parent Portal allows parents to register, login, and access ClassLink app resources provided by the district ClassLink Tenant Administrator. Registration and login access is on a separate page. A parent account does not provide access to their child's data or ClassLink account.
Below are steps to prepare the parent portal in your ClassLink tenant.
- Create a Profile
- Create a Group
- Enable Parent Portal
- Choose Groups
- Custom Messages
- Login Page
- Redemption Codes
- Assigning Applications
- Parent Enrollment and Logging In
- Alternate Setup Option - Formatting Files for SFTP Upload
- Parent Portal Quick Guide Tutorial
Create a Profile
1. ClassLink Management Console -> Profile.
2. Click the green Add button.
3. Give this profile a name.
4. Choose Parent as the Role.
5. Click Save.
Create a Group
1. Groups & Users -> Groups
2. Click the green Add button.
3. Create a parent group. Make sure to give this group a Parent profile.
Enable Parent Portal
1. Portals -> Parent Portal -> Settings
2. Turn on Enable Parent Portal.
3. Create a 3 character code prefix.
4. Click Save.
5. Choose how many student codes to create (1-3) to provide access to more than one parent.
6. Click Save.
1. Find the parent group that you have created.
2. Click Add to connect it to the Parent Portal (Uncheck the box that says Selected Groups Only).
1. To customize the emails sent to parents, turn on Customize Redeem Codes Emails.
2. Customize the options provided for the From and Reply-To email addresses and the subject regarding the One-Time-Password.
2. Customizations to the email subjects regarding Successful Registration and Password Reset and can be modified as well.
1. Portals -> Parent Portal -> Login Page.
2. Create the custom URL for the Parent Portal login page by entering your school code.
Schoolcode is replaced by the same schoolcode your child would use to log into https://launchpad.classlink.com/schoolcode or http://my.classlink.com/schoolcode.
3. Upload a custom logo or image by toggling the options to ON and clicking the image to upload a file.
4. Edit the Login Message text.
5. Click Save.
1. Sync the student groups before generating the redemption codes by clicking the User number for each student group under Groups & Users -> Groups. (Complete this for users who have not yet logged in.)
2. Go to Portal -> Parent Portal -> Codes.
3. Click the green Generate Codes button to create redemption codes associated with each of your students.
4. Click the blue Download Codes button to obtain a CSV with a list of all redeemed and non-redeemed codes.
5. Use the list to distribute the codes to your parents. Parents only need to use one code and have one account even if they have multiple students.
Appropriate applications need to be assigned to parents.
1. In the CMC, go to Applications -> Add & Assign Apps
2. Choose the apps to which the parents should have access.
3. Click on the green Assign button. You can assign out to the Parent Profile or the Parent Group.
Parent Enrollment and Logging In
Once a parent has been provided the redemption code, they can register for an account at https://parents.classlink.com/schoolcode.
Schoolcode is replaced by the same schoolcode that was set up in the Login Page step.
1. Once they are on the Parent Portal site for your school organization, parents can log in with either their email or phone number. If they do not have an account yet, they will be prompted to create one.
2. On the next page, the parent will be asked for their provided code that was generated and distributed to them.
3. A verification code will be sent to the email or phone number that the parent provided. OTP stands for one-time-password.
4. On the registration page, the parent will be asked their First Name, Last Name, and Password that they are to create.
5. Clicking Sign Up will take the parent to their LaunchPad.
6. If a parent forgets their password, clicking Send OTP will send a one-time-password that is sent to a phone or email address. This code can be used to log in. As the name implies, it can only be used once before it expires. One-time-passwords do not overwrite a user's saved password.
Alternate Setup Option - Formatting Files for SFTP Upload
There are 2 options for parent account creation. School organizations can provide codes for initial access (as detailed above) or they can upload a CSV file with parent emails AND/OR phone numbers.
Tenant administrators can upload CSV or XLSX (Excel) files via SFTP instead of generating and distributing codes, according to the steps below.
1. Please populate the attached file accordingly (attached at the bottom of this page) and contact email@example.com to receive an SFTP account for the upload.
2. To bulk import parents, make sure the file name is parents.csv or parents.xlsx, but do not change the file name from "parents" in lowercase and plural.
3. Make sure the following are the only columns included (spelling and case-sensitive):
parent_email, parent_phone, student_id, student_username
4. Either one or both of the fields need to be populated - parent_email AND/OR parent_phone. This decision needs to be communicated to parents (see below).
5. The student_username field must be populated with the student's ClassLink username. If the student username in the CSV does not match the username in LaunchPad, the parents will get an error and will not be able to register.
6. The student_id field can be left empty, but the column header must remain.
7. Disable the redeem code feature (toggle should be set to ON) and customize the message your parents will receive. This can be done by going to ClassLink Management Console ->Parent Portal -> Settings and then turning on the Disable Redeem Codes toggle. If the toggle is enabled, it will allow you to customize the Parent Portal login page with a custom message.
8. Use the provided SFTP account to upload the CSV files. Open an SFTP connection (we recommend using WinSCP, you can find it here) with the provided hostname and credentials.
9. Parents are to log in at parents.classlink.com/schoolcode ("schoolcode" is replaced with the school code created during the previous Login Page setup steps above).
10. Parents are to enter their email OR phone number on your custom Parent Portal login page (please indicate to parents which should be used based on the field included in the uploaded file).
11. If a parent enters an email address or phone number that is not part of the uploaded file, they will be prompted for a redemption code instead.
12. Then, each time, parents would be sent a code (via email or text) to enter to be able to get signed in.
Updated: July 2020