ClassLink Roster Server is built using an application layer and a database layer to ensure reliability and security. The web application is hosted in the cloud on reliable and redundant hardware. Keeping the application in the cloud means we can always keep it current.
The database layer, which holds all your student data, is hosted on a dedicated OneRoster database server in the cloud with limited access. This means only you and the people you share it with have access. Vendors will gain access to your data via REST API or CSV templates based on the orgs and class permissions provided.
We strongly recommend ClassLink to host your Roster Server - a hosted server can be set in 5 minutes or less!
The OneRoster spec can be found on the IMS Global website.
The CSV template specification can be found here.
OneRoster requires a Linux CentOS 7, 4GB ram, 2vCPUs.
*Ports (open externally)
- 22: SFTP and SSH. You can restrict port 22 to a single public IP (for ClassLink to access and install the Roster Server software
- 443: HTTPS . Vendors will fetch data via SSL/443
- Create public DNS record (for exmaple: oneroster.yourschooldomain.org)
- Install SSL certificates (.crt, .key)
- SSLCertificateFile should be your primary certificate file for your domain name
- SSLCertificateKeyFile should be the key file generated when you created CSR
- SSLCertificateChainFile should be the intermediate certificate file (if any) that was supplied by your certificate authority (add certs to following directory on OneRoster server: /etc/pki/tls/certs/
- Create OneRoster Admin Account for ClassLink (member of wheel is fine)
Upon completion of the server setup on premise, you must contact ClassLink (email@example.com). We will need the DNS, IP and login information for the Roster Server. Using those credentials, we will install the appropriate software. Now your server is ready for use!