Product: Roster Server
Audience: ClassLink Administrator
Once the ClassLink Roster Server has been set up and populated with data, data can then be shared with vendors who have developed Roster Server integrations.
In order to share the data in your ClassLink Roster Server, you need to add the vendor's Roster Server app to your Roster Server Console.
- How to Add Roster Server Applications
- Roster Server Application Permissions
- How to Share Data with the Vendor
- REST API
How to Add Roster Server Applications
2. From the Dashboard -> Applications
3. Click the Add Applications button.
4. Here you can search for vendors that you want to make your data accessible to that have created a Roster Server Application. Click the + Add button next to their application.
5. After Adding an Application, you will be prompted to define what kind of Permissions you want to give the vendor for access to your data to provision the accounts for particular users to have access to the application.
Roster Server Application Permissions
You can define how much data you want to expose or allow vendors access to through Permissions. You can always change, add, or remove permissions to any particular app by clicking on the Actions menu -> Permissions.
The different Permissions define what kind or how much data a vendor has access.
Full: A vendor is sent or has access to all of the data that is hosted in your Roster Server.
Custom: A vendor is sent or has access to the data that is related to both the Organizations AND Courses that is defined by the App Permissions. This means, the vendor will not have access to any user data that is not part of both lists of approved Orgs and Courses as defined in the App Permissions.
None: The vendor has no access to the data hosted in your Roster Server.
How to Share Data with the Vendor
After you have added the Roster Server application and set the app's permissions in your console, the vendor will receive an email notifying them that your district added their app in Roster Server. The email will contain your REST API url and a unique API key and secret.
You can also view the API key and secret for each vendor application under the Actions.
The 2 ways to share data with a vendor is by REST API and/or by SFTP. Both can be found in the Actions menu next to any particular application.
If you know your vendor can access your Roster Server data through REST API, after you've added their Roster Server Application, an email will automatically be sent to the vendor with the relevant Endpoint URL, API Key and Secret for your district. Once the vendor has access to that information, they can access the Roster Server data that you have set through the app Permissions whenever they need it.
If your vendor requests CSVs or does not use REST API to access your Roster Server data, they will give your SFTP credentials and details that you can populate in the app's SFTP Settings to schedule automated exports with the data that is defined by your app's Permissions.
1. Click the Actions menu -> and choose SFTP Settings.
2. In the Server Details and Authentication Details sections, enter the server details provided by the vendor.
3. Under File Details, specify the export template that is being sent to the vendor. Some vendors will require a particular template or version of the Roster Server specification be sent to them. If they don't, send the latest Roster Server specification (OneRoster v1p1 as of when this article was published).
4. Enter the Schedule Details.
5. Also in Schedule Details, switch the toggle to Enabled in order for the transfer to take place.
6. Click Save.
7. Click Send Now to initiate the transfer.
Custom Names for Applications
Roster Server also supports the creation of custom names for all of your applications.
1. On the Applications page, hover your cursor around the name of the app and click the blue pencil that appears.
2. From there, type in the custom name and click the green check mark to confirm.
3. The app will now appear with the custom name as the main name and the original name appearing smaller directly below it. Using the Search Bar at the top of the page, provides results with either matching custom name or original names.
Updated: May 2019