Audience: ClassLink Administrator
Syncs are the processes by which OneSync operates. They include imports from sources, exports to destinations, and dry runs which act as trial runs for exports. When properly set up with automatic syncs, OneSync will provision user accounts from sources to destinations with minimal maintenance thereafter. OneSync also allows for manual imports and exports if you want to more closely monitor sync activity.
Imports are syncs that pull data from sources and transfer it into OneSync. They can be automatic (scheduled) or manual:
- Automatic (Scheduled): On the source page, change the "Scheduled Run" toggles from disabled to enabled to allow automatic imports to run for the desired sources. You can set sync schedules for each source within their Source Details. Note that if you do not set a sync schedule for a source, it will automatically import on Sunday at midnight.
- Manual: On the sources page, click the blue play button next to the desired source to initiate a manual import.
Exports are syncs that push user accounts and data from OneSync to destinations. They can be automatic or manual (Sync All, Sync Changes, Single User, or Filtered):
- Automatic: On the destinations page, change the global Automatic toggle and the desired destination's Automatic toggle from disabled to enabled. This will allow automatic exports to run continuously. That is, an export will run anytime OneSync detects a change in user collections or mappings. To disable automatic exports from running, you can either disable the specific destination or switch the global Automatic toggle to "Manual".
- Sync Changes (manual): On the destinations page, click the desired destination's sandwich menu (...) and select "Sync Changes". This will detect any changes in users, collections, or mappings and queue the applicable changes for export.
- Sync All (manual): On the destinations page, click the desired destination's sandwich menu (...) and select "Sync Changes". This will export all data regardless of whether or not there are changes.
- Export User (manual): In the user list, click the sandwich menu (...) next to the desired user, and select "Export User" to export that user to all applicable, enabled destinations.
- Export Filter Users (manual): In the user list, filter the users with any combination of filters and/or search queries. You can then click the blue "Export Filtered Users" button at the top to export all the filtered users to their applicable destinations.
Dry runs are an optional trial runs, or mock exports, meant to assess a destination for potential errors before exporting. They can be manual or Single user, and will only queue users to be added or updated:
- Manual: On the destinations page, click the sandwich menu (...) next to the desired destination, and select "Start Dry Run"
- Single user (manual): On the user list page, click the sandwich menu (...) next to the desired user, and select "Export User (Dry)". This will initiate a dry run for each applicable, enabled destination. To enable a destination, navigate to the destinations page and change the desired destination's Automatic toggle from disabled to enabled.
Updated: May 2019