Product: Roster Server
Audience: ClassLink Administrator
ClassLink Roster Server is built using an application layer and a database layer to ensure reliability and security. The web application is hosted in the cloud on reliable and redundant hardware. Keeping the application in the cloud means we can always keep it current.
The database layer, which holds all your student data, is hosted on a dedicated OneRoster database server in the cloud with limited access. This means only you and the people you share it with have access. Vendors will gain access to your data via REST API or CSV templates based on the orgs and class permissions provided.
The OneRoster spec can be found on the IMS Global website.
The CSV template specification can be found here.
Note: We strongly recommend ClassLink to host your Roster Server - a hosted server can be set in 5 minutes or less!
- Download and setup CentOS7.
Use the following table as a guideline for the server’s specs:
|< 5,000||4 GB||2 VCPUs||40 GB|
|> 10,000 < 100,000||6 GB||2 VCPUs||40 GB|
|> 100,000 < 250,000||8 GB||4 VCPUs||80 GB|
|> 250,000||16 GB||4 VCPUs||80 GB|
- Open port 22 for SSH and SFTP. You can restrict port 22 to 220.127.116.11
- Open port 443 for SSL
- Create public DNS record (for example: oneroster.yourschooldomain.org)
- Install SSL certificates (.crt, .key)
- SSLCertificateFile should be your primary certificate file for your domain name
- SSLCertificateKeyFile should be the key file generated when you created CSR
- SSLCertificateChainFile should be the intermediate certificate file that was supplied by your certificate authority (add certs to following directory on OneRoster server: /etc/pki/tls/certs/
- Create OneRoster Admin Account for ClassLink (member of wheel is fine)
Upon completion of the server setup on premise, you must contact ClassLink (email@example.com). Please include the DNS, IP and login information for the OneRoster server. Using those credentials, we will install the appropriate software. Now your server is ready for use!
Updated: Mar 2019