Product: Roster Server
Audience: ClassLink Administrator
This article will go over all the necessary steps to roster with Google Classroom.
- Create a New Super Admin Service Account
- Create a New Project
- Enable the Google Classroom API
- Create Consent Screen
- Create Credentials
Create a New Super Admin Service Account
Before starting, create a new Super Admin account. Roster Server will use this account to access the Google Classroom API on your behalf. This account will have classes and calendars temporarily assigned to it as they are created, while they are pending acceptance from their respective teachers. Use this account while you follow the steps below.
Create a New Project
1. Log in to console.developers.google.com
2. from the dashboard, click on the Create a Project button or in the top ribbon, click the Select a project drop down, and then click New project from the following pop up menu.
3. In the dialog that displays, select the correct domain and then choose New Project.
4. Give your project a name, such as Roster Server Google Classroom. Optionally, you can specify a location for the project. Click Create when you are done.
5. You will be returned to the dashboard.
Enable the Google Classroom API
6. Click the project dropdown from the top ribbon.
7. In the dialog that displays, choose the newly-created project.
8. You will be returned to the dashboard again. Confirm that the correct project is displayed in the top ribbon.
9. Click Enable APIs and Services in the top ribbon, or Library in the left navigation panel. They both link to the same page.
10. Click on the Search box shown below
11. Use the search bar to search for “Classroom” and Click Google Classroom API.
12. Click Enable.
Create Consent Screen
13. On the left navigation panel, click Credentials.
14. Click the link to Credentials in APIs & Services.
15. Click OAuth consent screen.
16. Choose Internal for the application type and click Create. Then on the next screen give the application a name, e.g. “Roster Server Google Classroom.”
17. Add “classlink.com” as an Authorized Domain. Make sure to press the Enter or Return key.
18. The domain will appear above the input box.
19. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
20. click on Credentials tab
21. Click the Create credentials dropdown and choose OAuth client ID.
22. Select Web application for Application type. Enter a name, e.g. “Roster Server Google Classroom,”.
23. Add “https://rosterconsole.classlink.com/apps” as an Authorized redirect URI. Make sure to press the Enter or Return key, or click Create.
24. A dialog box will appear with the client ID and secret.
Congratulations, you’re done!